May 27, 2017

Media PA Elder Law Attorneys

Medicaid Planning for Nursing Home Care

Many people don’t give serious thought to estate planning until retirement age or when illness strikes. While it’s never too late to direct the distribution of your assets, you may miss out on some of the most important benefits of estate planning if you wait too long.

If you have health issues, you may find that you eventually need nursing home care. The cost of nursing home care can be overwhelming, impoverishing a healthy spouse who remains at home. Medicaid planning can protect the assets of the healthy spouse while enabling the ill spouse to qualify for Medicaid payments.

Over the past 40 years, the Media elder law attorneys at Halligan & Keaton have worked with thousands of families to ensure the ongoing care of elderly and disabled family members. We understand the challenges you are experiencing today. More importantly, we know the challenges you will face in the future if action is not taken.

We can help you:

  • Understand the Medicaid spend-down requirements so your loved one can qualify for financial assistance for nursing home care while protecting the family home and financial security of a healthy spouse.
  • Ensure money is available to pay for care and living expenses in a nursing home with the preparation of a special needs trust.
  • Prepare advance medical directives to ensure all family members understand how the senior would like his or her family to make end-of-life care decisions.
  • Draft a medical and/or financial power of attorney to ensure important decisions can be made.

Who will make decisions?

If your elder parent or family member is showing signs of loss of competency — perhaps from Alzheimer’s, a mental illness or other disability — take action to ensure someone can make medical and financial decisions for them. If the person is competent now, a power of attorney may be adequate, but once the person is no longer competent to enter into a legal agreement, you will need to seek legal guardianship.

Contact a Pennsylvania Elder Law Attorney

Contact our Media law office to schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced Pennsylvania elder law attorney, or call 610-566-6030. We can meet with your family at our office, your home or a nursing home or hospital for those who cannot travel.

Halligan & Keaton are located in Media, PA and serve Delaware County, Montgomery County and Chester County including the communities of Media, Springfield, Havertown, West Chester, Ardmore, Upper Darby, Blue Bell, Plymouth Meeting, King of Prussia and Lansdowne.